You’ve shared your voice and what you valued, waited patiently and been so amazing at advocating on our and north–central Calgary’s behalf over the last 10 years to expand to be a more inclusive, accessible and sustainable community where all generations can belong, learn and grow and be healthy for life. Vivo has started Construction on it’s Expansion Project with partners- Dialog, WSP and Ellis Don.
You’ll see on this page details about the project and what’s happening and any impacts to you.
Check out a ‘sneak a peak’ video about the vision and story behind our expansion project.
EXPANSION HAS STARTED. WE’RE EVOLVING FOR AND WITH YOU.
Expansion of Vivo, north-central Calgary’s Centre for Community Well-Being, Sport and Recreation is starting construction on its $62 million Expansion Project in April 2021.
“During the last year we have been finalizing our design with our architects Dialog, secured our Project Manager, WSP as well as our General Contractor, Ellis Don so we move into Construction right away”, said Vivo CEO, Cynthia Watson.
“This has been a 10-year “labour of love” project to bring to life together with north-central’s Calgary’s vision for a more inclusive, accessible and sustainable community where all generations can belong, learn and grow and be healthy for life” said Sharilyn Nagina, Chair for Vivo’s Board of Directors.
The expansion will see 135,000 square feet of new and renovated space uniting all ages, abilities and cultures in stronger physical, social and emotional health including a first-of-its-kind indoor park, 6 lane-25 metre pool, expanded fitness centre with dedicated studios, research and innovation lab and more community indoor and outdoor gathering and event spaces.
“This project enables us and our onsite partners to respond and deliver to our growing and diverse community’s basic needs of more social gathering, meeting, fitness and swimming”, explains Vivo CEO, Cynthia Watson. Watson says, “90 percent of Vivo’s programs and services are regularly filled during a typical first day of registration. Over 50+ community and cultural groups cite lack of space is also as the most significant barrier to implementing their services in the community.”
Funding for Vivo’s expansion project is provided in part by the Government of Canada, Province of Alberta, City of Calgary and Calgary Foundation. “Thanks to these generous funders we raised over 90 percent of our fundraising goal and will be launching our All In Community Campaign and Virtual Ground Breaking Event to raise the last $6.5M on April 27 with our funders, partners and the community says Frank Muller, Chair of Vivo’s All In for Community Campaign Cabinet.
The project is expected to take 18-20 months to complete, will create 320 jobs in Calgary during construction, provide on-going employment for another 60 new Vivo staff post-construction and be open together with the community in first part of 2023.
Vivo is a charity on a mission to raise healthier generations by empowering Canadians to achieve their optimal health whether they’re at home, school, work or in the community with us. The Vivo for Healthier Generations Society operates a Community Centre and Research and Innovation Lab in the heart of north-central Calgary where we work with our community and partners to support them in living a healthier life.
For additional information contact: email@example.com
Construction on our expansion project has started. We’re adding a 135,000 square feet of new and renovated space uniting all ages, abilities, and cultures in stronger physical, social and emotional health including:
- Imaginations will soar in a first-of-its-kind Indoor Park- A literal moving indoors of an outdoor park space. This will give our seniors a place to walk, a young mom a place to take a break and read a book and our diverse community a place for cultural celebrations of all kinds.
- Life skills in the new pool-This 6 lane – 25-metre pool will eliminate the large (over 1,000 children) swim lesson waitlists each session and the gradual entry makes it accessible for all. The sauna, steam room, and fireplace will be a suburban spa experience for all ages.
- Connect in four new community rooms- These rooms will be places you can celebrate life’s moments, big and small. Spaces to host events/meetings for up to 150 people. Support two of our volunteer-run seniors’ groups to stop wait-listing seniors for their programs due to lack of space.
- Research & Innovation Lab –Vivo is a national leader in social research and innovation. These spaces will help community leaders identify common challenges, work together towards a solution, measure their success, and capture their learnings.
- Build healthy habits in the 60% larger Fitness Centre- This expansion will focus on fitness for life and building healthy habits. It will create an environment that encourages and celebrates the social aspects of fitness and group training while also providing experiences that encourage quiet time, meditation, and relaxation.
- Gather outside in the community hug and outdoor plaza- A town square for the community – An outdoor space to hang out, meet up and gather in small and large groups, and host events.
What’s Coming Up
We’ll communicate about Construction in a number of ways for you including:
- Main Website – What’s open at Vivo while we’re under construction and during provincial health restrictions
- Press #4 for Expansion Updates on the phone system
- Social Media: @vivoyourlife for daily alerts
- Questions and Suggestions: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- E-newsletter: regular project updates
- Sign Up For Text Message Alerts