At Vivo, we’re on a mission to raise healthier generations in Calgary and beyond. We want Canadians of all ages to achieve their optimal health at home, school, work and play. We’re creating local, evidence-based solutions to support individuals and whole communities be more active and connected by charting a course to make 10% shifts – shifts in people’s lifestyles, shifts in the care and design of communities and shifts in decision making at organizational and government levels.
As a Youth Lead, you will be responsible for the planning, co-creation, development and delivery of the Youth Leadership club and Youth Night experiences at Vivo. This will include working with the Coordinator, Education as well as the youth themselves to create a meaningful and impactful leadership experience from September to June. You will create and connect with youth in ways that are impactful in driving and advancing our cause and help all youth reach new heights, enhance social connections and engage in spontaneous play. You will also help build accountability in youth through leadership opportunities and the coordination of volunteer experiences.
This position will require availability for every Friday evening to support the Youth Night attendants. As well, this position will require you to facilitate the Youth Leadership Club that runs every Saturday. You will connect with the youth and help develop the program based around their needs and interests for both the Youth Night and the Youth Leadership Club. You will report to and work with the Coordinator, Education to enhance the Youth Leadership Club and Youth Night experiences.
Reports to: Coordinator, Education
- Genuinely understand and reflect Vivo’s values and mission when planning and delivering the Youth Leadership Club experience
- With direction from Coordinator, Education, design and lead 2-4 Youth Leadership Club meetings per month from September to June
- Program and mentor the Play Attendants running Youth Night and encourage them to facilitate with Vivo’s best practices
- Maintain a high standard of effective supervision, risk assessment, and best practices (Vivo Instructor Training) and duty of care within Youth experiences
- Attend quarterly planning meetings with Coordinator, Education to map out the Youth experiences (curriculum, special events, guest speakers, and volunteer experiences)
- Ongoing curriculum planning, documentation and evaluation of the Youth Leadership Club attendance, meetings, outcomes and learnings
- Build strong relationships and co-create with our youth audience to determine their needs and what they value in leadership experiences at Vivo
- Assist with the on-boarding of youth volunteers and coordination of volunteer positions
- Champion of Vivo Instructor Training certification instructing practices and role model to fellow instructors
- Ability to seek direction, ask questions and engage in meaningful dialogue with direct supervisor and fellow team members.
- Share individual passions and talents to show ability in advocating for healthier generations
- Collaborate with team to create tools, materials and elevate organizational needs
- Commitment to on-going professional development and participation in regular team in-service opportunities
- Maintain a clean and safe work/play environment including following current health and safety guidelines from local and provincial authorities
- Set up and take down of equipment and perform other duties as required
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- Police Information Clearance within the past 3 years for current staff and 6 months for new staff
- Working towards or have completed a degree in Social Work, Child Studies, Education, Health and Society, or related degree
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C/AED certifications
- Have 2 or more years previous experience working with children and youth
- Ability to lift between 20-40 pounds for set up and take down
- Vivo Instructor Training (preferred)
- Demonstrates knowledge and experience in co-creating with youth and program planning
- Have a desire to mentor and be a positive role model for youth
Please note that this position can be combined with the Family Play Lead if the candidate has the existing qualifications for each position.
Thank you for your interest in Vivo. To apply for this position, please submit a copy of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.