Summer Camp Instructor | Term
At Vivo we are a charitable enterprise on a mission to raise healthier generations in Calgary and beyond. We want Canadians of all ages to achieve their optimal health at home, school, work and play. We’re creating local, evidence-based solutions to support individuals and whole communities be more active and connected by charting a course to make 10% shifts – shifts in people’s lifestyles, shifts in the care and design of communities and shifts in decision making at organizational and government levels.
With the support of new experiences and innovative built environments created with and for the community, their success stories will be proof of our mission in action. They’ll serve as powerful motivation for others, in Calgary and across the nation, to make their own changes for life.
Your role will begin with an extensive, hands-on training week to understand and uphold the values, expectations and customer service standards of Vivo. As a Vivo Summer Camp Instructor, you will be responsible for performing the day-to-day instruction and delivery of full-day summer camps for children aged 3-5, 5-8 or 9-12 years old.
A typical day will include facilitating sports activities and spontaneous play in multiple environments including the gymnasium, drypad, rock climbing wall, Play Hub, and the surrounding neighbourhood. You will create and connect with our customers, community and fellow employees in ways that are impactful in driving and advancing our cause. You’ll engage with passion and be accountable to Vivo customer’s and the Vivo camps team to deliver strong results and impact of our camp vision promoting holistic wellbeing through playing, exploring and connection.
Reports to: Summer Camp Lead
Responsibilities for all positions:
- Genuinely understand and reflect Vivo’s values and mission into each camp experience
- Actively participate in an extensive, hands on Vivo Instructor training week
- Instruct various half or full day summer camps at Vivo including the Embrace Your Inner Superhero, Dinosaur Stomp, Outdoor Explorers, Space Camp, Going Green, Full STEAM Ahead, Let Creativity Loose, Celebration of the Nations, Olympic Champions, and The Animal Kingdom camps. (Please note that the camp you instruct may change throughout summer depending on the demand of themes)
- Take ownership of instruction, facilitation, lesson set-up, lesson plan implementation, attendance taking, and use of equipment and teaching aids during camps.
- Deliver and modify program and free play in multiple environments.
- Facilitate an active, social, inclusive and engaging learning environment for children under your supervision.
- Handle any daily disciplinary concerns with a professional manner, and consulting with your direct supervisor for next steps.
- Sign campers in and out of camp using best practices
- Create meaningful touchpoints for parents/guardians every day by welcoming them to camp and discussing their child’s day at camp.
- Daily rotation between different duties including pre-shift preparation, post-shift cleaning, pre summer camp care, and post summer camp care, and weekly team debriefs.
- Safely deliver effective supervision, risk assessment, best practices and duty of care to camp participants.
- Maintain health and safety standards, first aid incidents, and equipment inventory.
- Champion of Vivo’s best practices and role model to partners and fellow instructors
- Evaluating experiences by providing regular verbal and written feedback in the form of observation sheets, interviews, etc. to direct supervisors.
- Seek direction, ask questions and engage in meaningful dialogue with direct supervisor and fellow team members.
- Demonstrate upbeat, approachable and engaging personality in order to create a welcoming space and a sense of community for camp participants.
- Minimum 2-years’ experience, instructing or volunteering with children programs.
- Knowledge and experience of coaching and modifying traditional and non-traditional sports AND/OR knowledge in teaching and creating arts and crafts AND/OR knowledge in wildlife, environment, sustainability, and camping will be considered an asset
- Experience and confidence working with children age 3-12 will be considered an asset
- Background in the field of physical literacy/child development studies/ physical education/ kinesiology considered an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication
- All successful applicants must be available June 24- July 4 (excluding July 1) for training
- This role is funded by Government of Canada through the Canada Summer Job program. Successful candidates must be between age of 17-30 according to the eligibility requirements from Canada Summer Job application.
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C/AED certifications
- A valid police information check for the Vulnerable Sector within the past 3 months
Thank you for your interest in Vivo. To apply for this position, please submit a copy of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.