Vivo means ‘live’ and embraces and celebrates diversity, community and the common thread that unites us all – life. Vivo is a charity on a mission to raise healthier generations by empowering Canadians to achieve their optimal healthwhether they’re at home, school, work or in the community with us.
TheVivo for Healthier Generations Society operates a Research and Innovation Lab and Centre for Community Wellbeing, Recreation and Sport in the heart of north-central Calgary where we work with our community and partners to support them in living a healthier life
Our roots began as a regional recreation centre in North Central Calgary. Over 16 years Vivo has grown into a well-utilized and beloved community hub with underpinnings in research and innovation to support individuals and whole communities to be more active and socially connected. In 2023, we are launching 117,000 square feet of new and renovated spaces, which will include a signature indoor park, aquatics upgrade, expanded boutique-style fitness, vital community spaces and a social research and innovation lab.
As a registered charity, Vivo is responsible for generating annual revenues of $7 million+ and undertaking fundraising and sponsorships to cover operating budgets, transfers to reserves for capital maintenance and equipment, investments in research and community development initiatives like the Vivo Play Project, and any other special projects that advance our charitable purposes, including the $60 million capital campaign for our upcoming expansion.
As an Early Years Childhood Educator, you are responsible for the co-creation, development, resourcing, delivery, evaluation, performance and advancement of Little Kids Active Learners Preschool experiences. You will connect and co-create with the children in your class, customers, community and employees in ways that are impactful in driving and advancing Vivo’s cause. With a commitment for Early Childhood Education and the Power of Play you will assist in re-imagining, sustaining and evolving all aspects of the preschool and bring child experiences to life. You’ll engage with passion and be accountable to the team to deliver strong results and impact.
Reports to: Schools & Camps Manager
Hours per week: part time minimum 20 hours per week
- Genuinely understand and reflect Vivo Values, Mission and commitments toward our community’s chosen Vivo Elements
- Deliver a high standard of effective supervision, risk assessment, best practicesand duty of care for all children within the preschool program at all times.
- Demonstrate knowledge and respect of Alberta Childcare Licencing regulations and Alberta Health and Safety Guidelines pertaining to Childcare facilities.
- Consistently contribute to a safe working environment by adhering to all Vivo Health and Safety requirements and Emergency Response Procedures.
- Participate and help build authentic, responsible relationships with the Preschool children and their families and all Vivo team members in order to provide an authentic uplifting community experience.
- Demonstrate upbeat, approachable, and an engaging personality in order to inspire and provide participants with a sense of self and place.
- Explore and experiment with Early childhood based experiences as well as social, inclusive, learning environments for the Preschool program and implement and measure new ways of building play based/ spontaneous experiences to provide children with a sense of self and place.
- Facilitate, program, innovate and perform equipment set-up (move items up to 30 pounds) and partial take down, participating and engaging children in various styles of play and exploratory learning in planned and spontaneous gym based, outdoor and alternate environments.
- Actively participate in swimming, skating, wall climbing, the outdoors and other forms of physical activity with the children
- Participate in planning days include bringing to life child led monthly planning, active based programing, organization of materials and supplies, design of early learning provocations, participation in Early Childhood Education Development, and cleaning and care of equipment.
- Provide regular feedback both verbally and written (once a month) of each child’s experiences to ensure continuous connection with families.
- Provide regular community connection about the Power of Play and Vivo Services
- Seek direction, ask questions and engage in thoughtful connection with your Programs Coordinator and team members
- Act as a role model of teamwork, demonstrating resilience, effective communication and innovation in the Early Childhood Education and Power of Play field.
- Collaborate with the team to create special events, and materials that benefit the children, families and elevate organizational needs
- Attend all Vivo training and team building events.
- Be consistently active in ones own professional and personal growth and development to achieve organizational competencies
- Leadership skills, take initiative, confident in addressing concerns with families and with colleagues
- Child Development Assistant (Level 1)
- Child Development Worker (Level 2)
- Child Development Supervisor (Level 3)
- Post-Secondary Diploma and/or University Degree in Early Childhood Education/Social Work/Education in addition to Minimum qualifications
- Childcare Development Supervisor (Level 3)
- Ability to respect children’s and adult’s individualized personality and developmental capabilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated current and innovative knowledge and experience in preschool programming
- Knowledge in practicing Alberta’s Flight Framework
- Empathetic and proactive problem solving skills
- Understanding of the importance of physical literacy skills and growth mind set.
- Minimum 2 years experience Early Childhood Education field
- Highly developed organisational and administrative skills, ability to meet deadlines and work autonomously
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Word considered an asset
- Current Standard Level C First Aid and CPR-C/AED certifications.
- A valid police information check with the Vulnerable Sector within the past 3 months.
- Capable of lifting 30-50 pounds
- Wage is determined by experience and education
- Government Wage Enhancement for and Professional Development Grants for certified educators
- Health Benefits possible when working 30+ hours/week
- Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer Holidays in accordance with the CBE Calendar
Thank you for your interest in Vivo. To apply for this position, please submit a copy of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.