Vivo means ‘live’ and embraces and celebrates diversity, community and the common thread that unites us all – life. Vivo is a charity on a mission to inspire a wholistic mindset for healthy living. Our Centre for Community Wellbeing and our Innovation Collaboratory are platforms where individuals and communities ignite change to shape healthier generations.
Our roots began as a regional recreation centre in North Central Calgary. Over 18 years Vivo has grown into a well-utilized and beloved community hub with underpinnings in research and innovation to support individuals and whole communities to live a healthy life. In 2023, we are launching 262,000 square feet of new and renovated spaces which will include a signature indoor park, aquatics upgrade, expanded boutique-style fitness, vital community spaces and a social innovation lab.
As a registered charity, Vivo is responsible for generating annual revenues of $7 million+ and undertaking fundraising and sponsorships to enhance accessibility, fund capital maintenance and equipment, investments in research and community development initiatives like the Vivo Play Project, and any other special projects that advance our charitable purposes, including the $60 million capital campaign for our current expansion.
Role: Philanthropy Manager
As Philanthropy Manager, you will play an instrumental role in leading, executing and the stewardship of philanthropy at Vivo. This includes overseeing the major gifts & grants and grassroots fundraising for Vivo’s priorities such as: accessibility, capital projects, operating and restricted projects. You are voice for championing Vivo’s philanthropic culture.
Working with Vivo leadership and employees, board and other volunteers, you will be responsible for designing/planning, implementing and evaluating fundraising strategy and initiatives that encompass the full cycle of fund development including, identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. This will include a diverse range of stakeholders such as government, corporations, foundations, community and individual donors.
Reports to: Chief Evolution Officer
- Promote Vivo’s mission, vision, values, experiences and projects.
- Execute Vivo’s positioning efforts to be a charitable brand externally with stakeholders and internally with employees.
- Support the board and senior leadership team in fostering and furthering the organization’s philanthropic culture and ethos of community prosperity.
Fund Development Strategy & Execution
- Collaborate with senior leadership to set the organization’s philanthropic priorities, develop strategies and create an appropriate plan to oversee the achievement of these goals.
- Manage all campaign-related operations within campaign objectives, striving to meet and exceed achievement of campaign goals.
- Working with the Chair of the Capital Campaign Cabinet to steward the capital campaign through to completion, ensuring it meets the target objectives, supporting the administrative needs of the volunteer cabinet to be successful in its duties.
- Lead the development of a major gifts, grants and grassroots fundraising strategy and allocate resources as required.
- Review, ensure adherence, and make recommendations for Vivo’s philanthropy and fund development policies.
Major Gifts, Grants & Grassroots Fundraising: Cultivation, Solicitation & Stewardship
- Understand who Vivo donor audiences are, what their needs are and how they align with Vivo’s priorities.
- Research and identify prospects (individual, community, corporation, and foundation) and prepare for solicitation meetings including, scheduling meetings, assembling presentations, and full meeting prep for Vivo employees, cabinet members, Board members and other fundraising volunteers.
- Manage visits and solicitation with Capital Campaign Cabinet, board members and CEO. Work closely with key volunteers including cabinet members to ensure they are properly trained, engaged and informed of the campaign process and progress and have the resources they need for prospect cultivation and stewardship. Organize and schedule follow up items that arise from solicitation meetings.
- Oversee stewardship of all external funds secured by Vivo, including acknowledgement of all gifts and pledges, preparation of pledge payment reminders and pledge agreements and delivering on required commitments and reporting as per donor/sponsor/government agreements.
- Oversee database, administrative and financial systems for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of all fundraising at Vivo leading to excellence in donor stewardship and efficiency for volunteer and staff solicitors.
- Provide direction and support to the Donor Care Coordinator and Philanthropy Assistant to ensure fulfillment of Vivo’s fundraising plans/goals.
- Manage and provide assistance to the team in the organization and monitoring of volunteer assignments and follow-up, and assisting in all aspects of volunteer-led events.
Communications & Event Management
- Oversee philanthropy communications, such as acknowledgements, follow-up letters, and newsletters.
- Develop and/or provide direction for communications including solicitation proposals, grants, meeting requests, and meeting follow up and manage the follow-up process.
- In conjunction with the Philanthropy team, plan and execute logistics for philanthropic events
- Liaise with the marketing and communications resources on fundraising-related materials and events, ensuring accuracy and consistency of message platforms in all activities.
Financial Accountability, Evaluation & Reporting
- Lead budget preparation and monitoring of all fundraising related activities, appropriately tracking financial resources.
- Generate ongoing (weekly, monthly, quarterly, as appropriate) reports that manifest the efficacy of Vivo’s fundraising activities and provide research and performance reports as needed.
- Report campaign return on investment and results to the Directors and CEO, explaining variances and making recommendations.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 3-5 years’ experience related to the responsibilities and preferably with managing a successful capital campaign, including successful major donor gift solicitations of six figures and above, major gift, endowment and legacy fundraising, and oversight of events, communications, cultivation, solicitation, and grant writing;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent negotiation and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to write successful proposals and grants;
- Exceptional level of organization and project management skills;
- Ability to anticipate project needs, discern work priorities, and meet tight deadlines with little supervision;
- Desire to be part of a team and a community with the capacity to work well independently;
- The ability to develop and sustain strong relationships with diverse stakeholders;
- Ability to think strategically, creatively, analytically, and deal effectively with challenges;
- Be a member of the AFP and comply with their Code of Ethical Principles and Standards;
- Willingness and ability to travel locally (to meet up with donors and prospects and to attend important meetings and events) and work irregular hours, nights and weekends as required.
- A valid police information check for the Vulnerable Sector within the past 3 months
Thank you for your interest in Vivo. To apply for this position, please submit a copy of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.