Little Kids Active Learners: Early Childhood Educator
At Vivo we are a charitable enterprise on a mission to raise healthier generations in Calgary and beyond. We want Canadians of all ages to achieve their optimal health at home, school, work and play. We’re creating local, evidence-based solutions to support individuals and whole communities be more active and connected by charting a course to make 10% shifts – shifts in people’s lifestyles, shifts in the care and design of communities and shifts in decision making at organizational and government levels.
With the support of new experiences and innovative built environments created with and for the community, their success stories will be proof of our mission in action. They’ll serve as powerful motivation for others, in Calgary and across the nation, to make their own changes for life.
As Early Years Childhood Educator, you are responsible for the co-creation, development, resourcing, delivery, evaluation, performance and advancement of Little Kids Active Learners Preschool experiences. You will connect and co-create with the children in your class, customers, community and employees in ways that are impactful in driving and advancing Vivo’s cause. With commitment for Early Childhood Education and the Power of Play you will assist in re-imagining, sustaining and evolving all aspects of the LKAL preschool and bring child experiences to life. You’ll engage with passion and be accountable to the team to deliver strong results and impact.
Reports to: Early Years & Youth Manager
- Genuinely understand and reflect Vivo Values, Mission and commitments toward our community’s chosen Vivo Elements
- Deliver a high standard of effective supervision, risk assessment, best practicesand duty of care of all children within the LKAL program at all times.
- Demonstrate knowledge and respect of Alberta Childcare Licencing regulations and Alberta Health and Safety Guidelines pertaining to Childcare facilities.
- Consistently contribute to a safe working environment by adhering to all Vivo Health and Safety requirements and Emergency Response Procedures.
- Participate and help build authentic, responsible relationships with the LKAL children and their families and all Vivo team members in order to provide an authentic uplifting community experience.
- Demonstrate upbeat, approachable, and an engaging personality in order to inspire and provide participants with a sense of self and place.
- Explore and experiment with Early childhood based experiences as well as social, inclusive, learning environments for the LKAL program and implement and measure new ways of building play based/ spontaneous experiences to provide children with a sense of self and place.
- Facilitate, program, innovate and perform equipment set-up (move items up to 30 pounds) and partial take down, participating and engaging children in various styles of play and exploratory learning in planned and spontaneous gym based, outdoor and alternate environments.
- Actively participate in swimming, skating, wall climbing, the outdoors and other forms of physical activity
- Participate in planning days include bringing to life Child Led monthly planning, active based programing, organization of crafts and supplies, design of early learning stations, participation in Early Childhood Education Development, and cleaning and care of equipment.
- Provide regular feedback both verbally and written (once a month) of each child’s experiences to ensure continuous connection with families.
- Provide regular community connection about the Power of Play and Vivo Services
- Seek direction, ask questions and engage in thoughtful connection with your Early Years & Youth Manager.
- Act as a role model of teamwork, demonstrating resilience, effective communication and innovation in the Early Childhood Education and Power of Play field.
- Collaborate with the team to create special events, and materials that benefit the children, families and elevate organizational needs
- Attend all Vivo training and team building events.
- Be consistently active in ones own professional and personal development to achieve organizational competencies
- Early Childhood Development Assistant Certification
- Childcare Development Worker
- Post-Secondary Diploma and/or University Degree in Early Childhood Education/Social Work/Education in addition to Minimum qualifications
- Childcare Development Supervisor
- Ability to respect children’s and adult’s individualized personality and developmental capabilities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in preschool programming
- Empathetic and proactive problem solving skills
- Understanding of the importance of physical literacy skills and growth mind set.
- Minimum 2 year experience Early Childhood Education field
- Highly developed organisational and administrative skills, ability to meet deadlines and work autonomously
- Capable of lifting 30-50 pounds
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C/AED certifications
- Police Information Clearance within the past 3 years for current staff and 6 months for new staff
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Word considered an asset
Thank you for your interest in Vivo. To apply for this position, please submit a copy of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.