Health, Safety & Wellbeing Manager
Vivo means ‘live’ and embraces and celebrates diversity, community and the common thread that unites us all – life. Vivo is a charity on a mission to raise healthier generations by empowering Canadians to achieve their optimal health whether they’re at home, school, work or in the community with us.
The Vivo for Healthier Generations Society operates a Centre for Community Wellbeing and a Social Innovation Lab in the heart of north-central Calgary where we work with our community and partners to support them in living a healthier life.
The Health, Safety & Wellbeing (HS&W) Manager will work across all levels of the organization to raise awareness and work to promote a healthy and safe culture that leads Vivo toward a vision of creating a strong foundation that encourages mental and physical healthy workplace practices and lifestyle. This role will be at the heart of designing, developing, implementing, delivering, evaluating and ongoing evolution of meaningful Health, Safety & Wellbeing strategies, programs, initiatives, policies and procedures that are in compliance with current legislation and strive to increase and promote positive physical and mental wellbeing outcomes of all employees, and the wider community.
Through expert advice and coaching, this role will continually increase our standards and support the Culture & People team and broader operational management in all aspects of HS&W matters, to drive the ongoing alignment and improvement of a healthy and safe culture and focus in support of Vivo’s core value “Wellbeing” ~ We strive for safety and balance in mind, body and soul to be the change in ourselves and for others.
Reports to: Culture & People Director
- Provide effective and active leadership for a safe working environment through cultural development, in support of our core value “Wellbeing”, and with preventative physical and mental health and wellbeing strategies, programs and initiatives.
- Promote a safety culture within the organization through evolving the health, safety, and wellbeing agenda and motivating and energizing managers to take full accountability for health and wellbeing leadership in their parts of the business.
- In collaboration with the Culture & People Director, develop and implement the Vivo Health, Safety, Wellbeing and Strategy 2022-2027 to build a positive HS&W culture and continuously improve HS&W performance, consistent with contemporary practice, current research and legislative compliance requirements.
- Work with the Culture & People Director to develop and implement a HS&W Program and HS&W foundation across all Vivo’s functions ensuring it supports the strategic plan and organizational objectives.
- Collaboratively assist, coach, influence and support the Management Team to establish objectives and make informed decisions to enable a strong HS&W culture and stretch our performance.
- Work with diverse teams to plan, develop and manage health promotion programs/projects across Vivo.
- Oversee a change in health & safety culture and performance by coaching, mentoring, developing, empowering and providing visible leadership to all Vivo employees in order to achieve ownership of HS&W and the required outcomes in line with strategic and operational HS&W plans.
- Ensure that HS&W performance indicators and systems are in place to support the achievement of Vivo’s’s strategic and operational goals.
- Rigorously monitor and evaluate all HS&W Program delivery and report regularly utilizing databases and internal reporting procedures ensuring data collection processes are robust and demonstrating best practice and value.
- Manage all financial activities for HS&W Programs including, providing specialist and timely HS&W advice to Culture & People Director in relation to any budget risks and/or new revenue sources relevant to HS&W projects/programs.
- Analyze organizational health including costs and impact of injury and illness, to identify trends and report targets, objectives and results, including business and budget requirements.
- Support workforce development and capacity building strategies which are important components of safety and health promotion.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of legislation, regulatory and Vivo requirements ensuring full compliance and management and staff are kept informed of changes to these requirements.
- Identify Safety technology and solutions that can drive a health, safety and wellbeing focus across Vivo to improve efficiencies and effectiveness.
Health & Safety
- Lead and manage the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of health and safety strategies, plans, policies, practices, processes and initiatives across the organization.
- Once implemented, maintain and continuously improve Vivo’s H&S Program, through supporting and facilitating a consultative approach relating to, emergency response and training, H&S committee, injury management, disability management (RTWP), pandemic response, ergonomic reviews, and to ensure that the program meets the required internal standards, legislative compliance and drives continuous improvement.
- Provide information and advice to management and governance related to serious Health & Safety risks to Vivo and facilitate collaborative interactions to devise appropriate solutions.
- Build positive and productive stakeholder relationships to build engagement with customers, communities, and stakeholders to ensure HS&W obligations and standards are consistently applied in all activities within Vivo’s operations.
- Maintain HS&W reporting systems and, with support of the Management Teams, facilitate a reporting culture to monitor incidents and injuries and identify risks and trends.
- Analyze data from a range of sources to identify trends and recommend areas for improvement.
- Develop and improve internal audit processes and tools for the Health & Safety representatives and managers on HS&W hazards and risks.
- Perform routine and carry frequent audits and inspections internally and external audits through liaison with the auditing bodies.
- Develop, continuously improve and lead the delivery of HS&W training content and material to build capability and knowledge.
- Coordinate and facilitate organizational safety training to all employees, including but not limited to, Emergency Procedures, First Aid, & CPR C, WHIMIS, Psychological First Aid, Department/Position Specific, Workplace ergonomics, Injury prevention, Violence & Harassment, Information on wellbeing
- Lead and undertake contemporary and best practice safety investigations. Provide timely, high-quality reports, follow up and other written communication for a variety of audiences and all stakeholders involved.
- Lead the team/take a leading role in the event of an accident or incident, including, ensuring the accident/incident is appropriately investigated and appropriate action is taken, the lessons are extracted from the event, and process improvements are implemented.
- Provide expertise, lead and manage the Joint Health & Safety Committee.
- Develop and implement best practice wellbeing initiatives and programs to support all Vivo employees.
- Provide advice and support to the Culture & People Director to ensure the Employee Wellbeing programs and initiatives align with and deliver on Vivo’s strategic plan.
- Consult with employees across Vivo and apply researched methodology in social, emotional health project/program design, implementation and evaluation customized to address the unique cross-cultural needs of Vivo’s diverse workforce.
- Develop, monitor and evaluate a culturally appropriate and responsive Employee Wellbeing Strategy.
- Plan, budget and document all aspects of projects/programs including (but not limited to): Nutrition Program, Mental Health & Wellbeing Program, Employee Assistance Program, etc.
- Draw on relevant literature and research findings to develop/improve health and wellbeing programs and outcomes.
- Minimum 10 year’s relevant industry experience, and a minimum of 5 years in a leading role.
- Appropriate degree/certificate in a Health-related profession or relevant qualifications (ie.CRSP or equivalent)
- An excellent understanding of safety leadership and how to foster a safety culture within an organization.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, professional, approachable and generous (with time), able to continuously challenge oneself and other seeking for best solutions.
- Experience in developing and deploying a workplace physical and mental health and wellbeing strategy in a complex multi-site environment
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the fields of Injury Management, Rehabilitation, and Self-Insurance schemes, and associated legislation.
- Experience interacting with senior management, through to first line personnel across multiple sites with experience in high-risk settings
- Advanced experience in business communications, presentations, reporting, investigation and audit skills
- Ability to lead, motivate and influence others and develop and implement strategies across a complex multi-site organization
- Expert knowledge with health and safety law and other professional bodies, its interpretation and application within the workplace and have practical experience of undertaking investigations and carrying out risk assessments
- Red Cross or Life Saving Instructor for First Aid & CPR-C is considered an asset.
- Psychological Well-being Instructor or is considered an asset.
- A valid police information check for the Vulnerable Sector within the past 3 months
Thank you for your interest in Vivo. To apply for this position, please submit a copy of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.