At Vivo we are a charitable enterprise on a mission to raise healthier generations in Calgary and beyond. We want Canadians of all ages to achieve their optimal health at home, school, work and play. We’re creating local, evidence-based solutions to support individuals and whole communities be more active and connected by charting a course to make 10% shifts – shifts in people’s lifestyles, shifts in the care and design of communities and shifts in decision making at organizational and government levels.
With the support of new experiences and innovative built environments created with and for the community, their success stories will be proof of our mission in action. They’ll serve as powerful motivation for others, in Calgary and across the nation, to make their own changes for life.
As Corporate Secretary, you will work closely with the Board Chair and CEO to provide a range of support services. You are a specialist, and will be responsible for providing effective support to the Board of Directors and related committees, working groups and advisory bodies. You will plan and execute board related meetings, maintaining records, developing reports and liaising with Board members and management to ensure information provided is accurate and complies with legal requirements and the Board operates in accordance with good governance practices.
Additionally, you will ensure the integrity of the governance framework, being responsible for the efficient administration and compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and implementing decisions made by the Board of Directors.
This is a part time position, 20-24 hours/week.
Reports to: Chief Evolution Officer
- Be a trusted advisor and support to the Board of Directors in the execution of their governance duties, including ensuring there is sufficient resourcing for Board Meetings, Committee Meetings, organization of the Annual General Meeting and the annual Board Advance and execution of board decisions.
- Providing the CEO with an elevated level of administrative and project-based support for critical analysis, research and preparation of executive-level documents strategic initiatives that support the evolution of the charity.
- Ensuring the CEO has sufficient administrative support at all times
- Creation of agendas and corporate governance related materials (including reports and resolutions), and timely distribution of agendas and all meeting materials, for Board, committee, working group and advisory body meetings
- Accurate recording and distribution of all meeting minutes
- Maintaining and safe storage of key corporate legal documents and records, including corporate Minute Book and corporate seal
- Creation and maintenance of up-to-date Board forward agendas and action items lists outlining matters to be on the Board’s agenda over the course of a year
- Maintenance of a full contact list of board members including board member appointment dates, term of appointments and board member biographies; maintenance of an up-to-date list of members of Board committees, working groups and advisory bodies
- Oversight of all annual filings of required reports and information and keeping all corporate records up to date
- Maintenance and updating of governance policies and committee and other terms of reference, and a systematic schedule for their review as determined by the Board
- Managing external correspondence and ensuring that requests made of the Board, or relevant to governance or public company compliance matters, are reported and responded to in a timely manner
- Logistics of planning Board related meetings and events
- Identify, develop and implement process improvements including new methods, processes and tools for efficient, effective and innovative ways of delivering governance best practices
- Manage the development, planning, implementation and ongoing evaluation and updating of the governance framework, governance and operational policies, processes and best practices at both the Board and organizational level.
- Maintain top accreditation for Imagine Canada’s Strong Charities Accreditation Program https://imaginecanada.ca/en/standards-program
- Plan, develop and execute the Annual Report
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legal system as it affects the business and monitor Board and organisational compliance and prepare organisational documents as needed for legal and compliance matters.
- Liaise with legal counsel and other professionals on governance and organisational matters.
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekends as required
- Post-Secondary Diploma and/or University Degree in Business, Corporate Governance or equivalent business experience
- 7+ years experience reporting to a Board and/or CEO
- Related professional designation considered an asset
- Legal and/or governance background including work with corporate or non-profit Boards
- High degree of personal integrity, accountability and confidentiality required
- Proven ability to anticipate needs, proactively act and execute
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and high degree of accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of an organization, multi-sector partners, community, and donors
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C/AED certifications
Thank you for your interest in Vivo. To apply for this position, please submit a copy of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.