4 in 1 Physical Literacy Program Instructor and Research Assistant
Number of Positions Available: one
Appropriate Major: Physical Literacy or Sport and Recreation Management
Required Hours: 160 hours
Academic Semester(s): Fall 2020
Specified Schedule: Must be available Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 4pm-8pm. Must be available Friday evenings and Saturdays for research testing and data collection (3-5 within the semester)
Vivo for Healthier Generations is a charitable recreation center located in north-central Calgary. Vivo is piloting a new adaptive multi-sport program in which the successful applicant will play an integral role in collecting and analyzing research data of the 4 in 1 Physical Literacy Program.
This first-of-its-kind physical literacy program is designed to improve children’s confidence, competence, motor proficiency and fundamental movement skills across multiple environments and diverse activities. Swimming lessons, skating lessons, rock climbing, yoga, soccer, martial arts, parkour and gym-time fun are just some of the activities that make up this intentionally designed, action-packed course.
As a 4in1 Physical Literacy Instructor and Research Assistant, you will have two roles. 1) Coaching and leading the 4 in 1 physical literacy program every Tuesday and Thursday evenings (time TBD). 2) You will also have the opportunity to help with the research collection and analysis using the Bruininks-Oseretsky Test –2 (BOT2), Test of Gross Motor Development- Third Edition (TGMD3), Canadian Assessment of Physical Literacy-2nd Edition (CAPL-2), and Observing Fitness Instruction Time test (SOFIT). You will also be asked to help plan and facilitate 3-5 focus groups with the 4 in 1 families throughout the semester.
We are seeking high energy; approachable, charismatic and passionate people who can help drive our cause and create exceptional experiences for children and their families. As a key member of the Vivo team, this position will support the Child and Youth Team and help advance the cause to raise healthier generations in Calgary and beyond.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate the 4 in 1 physical literacy program with children ages 9-10 years old and modify the programs as needed
- Connect with the children and the families in the 4 in 1 program
- Attend in-person training sessions for TGMD2, BOT2, and CAPL2 (and SOFIT if needed)
- Facilitate research data collection on 27 participants (9-10 years old) including TGMD2, BOT2, and CAPL2 – 3-5 within the semester running on Friday evenings and all day Saturday
- Research data inputting and analysis of TGMD3, BOT2, and CAPL2
- Help program, facilitate, and transcribe focus groups for qualitative research (3-5 throughout the fall)
- Experience with TGMD3, BOT2, and CAPL2 testing and research analysis
- Engage our families with a friendly, welcoming and helpful attitude.
- Able to make every visit positive and engaging.
- Superior organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to modify programs and keep children active 60% of the time (or more!) in a 1-hour program
- Working above and beyond to ensure our families have the best experience possible
- 1 year experience coaching children in multiple environments (air, land, water, snow/ice)
- Experience with TGMD3, BOT2, CAPL2, SOFIT and qualitative data research
- Exceptional customer engagement skills.
- Standard First Aid & CPR-C/AED Certification
- A Police Information Check – Vulnerable Sectors valid within the last 6 months (or receipt as proof of request).
- Experience in physical literacy and its importance in programs
- High Five: Principles of Healthy Childhood Development (considered an asset).
Thank you for your interest in Vivo. To apply for this position, please submit a copy of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before September 15, 2020.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.