Play & Sports Summer Camp Lead
At Vivo, we are a charitable enterprise on a mission to raise healthier generations in Calgary and beyond. We want Canadians of all ages to achieve their optimal health at home, school, work and play. We’re creating local, evidence-based solutions to support individuals and whole communities be more active and connected by charting a course to make 10% shifts - shifts in people’s lifestyles, shifts in the care and design of communities and shifts in decision making at organizational and government levels.
With the support of new experiences and innovative built environments created with and for the community, their success stories will be proof of our mission in action. They will serve as powerful motivation for others, in Calgary and across the nation, to make their own changes for life.
Your role will begin with an extensive training session to understand and uphold the values, expectations and customer service standards of Vivo. As the Play & Sports Camp Lead, you are responsible for overseeing and managing the delivery of the day-to-day Play & Sports camp experience at Vivo including the Active Explorer: Sports You Know, Active Explorer: Unique and Wonderful Sports, and Play Your Way summer camps. The camp lead will be responsible for ensuring camp instructors and volunteers are delivering quality experiences through constant communication and evaluation. You will create and connect with our customers, community, employees and volunteers in ways that are impactful in driving and advancing our cause. The camp lead will assist in re-imagining, overseeing, sustaining and evolving aspects of the camp offerings and bring Vivo’s lifestyle brand to life. Developing accountability and capacity in the Play & Sports camps team is essential in order to deliver strong results and impact of our camp vision: Play + Explore + Connect.
Reports to: Coordinator, 4 in 1 and Camps
- Genuinely understand and reflect Vivo’s values and mission into each camp experience
- Actively engage in Summer Camp Lead training lead by your direct supervisor
- Assist in recruitment of camp volunteers, instructors, and development of on-boarding procedures for all camps under your supervision: Active Explorer camps and Play Your Way camps
- Assist your direct supervisor with the delivery and evaluation of the onboarding and orientation of summer camp instructors through the facilitation of a 35-hour Vivo Instructor training session and contributing to quality feedback to improve future training opportunities
- Create a welcoming and supportive environment for Play & Sports camp instructors and volunteers
- Create daily, weekly, and monthly staff schedules for the Play & Sports camp team
- Program the Play & Sports camps including games, activities, modifications, and free play opportunities
- Engage in camps daily by remaining accessible and visible to parents, children, and camp instructors.
- Assist the camp instructors during off-site field trips and ensuring the upmost safety of campers, staff, and volunteers
- Observe camps daily to ensure that Vivo values are being upheld throughout the delivery of camps
- Assist Play & Sports camp instructors with any day-to-day issues and create and implement effective solutions
- Evaluate Play & Sports instructors, volunteers, and camp experiences by providing regular verbal and written feedback and report feedback to direct supervisor
- Lead weekly debriefs with the Play & Sports Camp team and report back to your direct supervisor
- Perform camp administration duties including:
- Managing waitlists and enrolments for Play & Sports camps
- Assist instructors with the completion of necessary forms and e-forms on the first day of camp including: talent release form, field trip forms and safety waiver forms
- Assist the camp instructors with the sign in/sign out process for camps
- Assisting the Camp Coordinator with answering emails and phone calls
- Complete weekly inventory of equipment and supplies
- Complete any accident and injury report forms
- Facilitate communications with parents, staff, campers, and direct supervisor
- Respond to parent/guardian concerns in a professional manner
- Utilize Human Resources and the Camps Coordinator to report any repetitive disciplinary or performance issues of the Play & Sports Camp team
- Champion of the Vivo Instructor certification instructing and mentor instructors
- Demonstrate an upbeat, approachable and engaging personality to create a sense of community in camps
- Lead and provide clear direction and expectations to the Play & Sports summer camp instructors and volunteers on roles and responsibilities
- Demonstrate a high standard of supervision, risk assessment, Vivo’s best practices, and duty of care within the Play & Sports summer camps by actively maintaining health and safety standards, first aid incidents, and equipment inventory of first aid kits
- Assist the Camps Coordinator with the development, implementation, and measurement of spontaneous play in the Play & Sports camps
- Foster an active, social, inclusive and engaging learning environment for children and families
- Seek direction, ask questions and engage in meaningful dialogue with direct supervisor and fellow team members.
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C/AED certifications
- Police Information Clearance within the past 3 years (current staff); 6 months (new staff)
- Minimum degree/certificate or currently studying in the field of physical literacy/child development studies/ physical education/ kinesiology/ education
- Knowledge and Experience in developing and modifying sport lesson plans
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Minimum 2-years’ experience, instructing or volunteering with children programs.
We thank all interested candidates for their interest in VIVO and this opportunity. Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.