Director, Facilities & Environment
At Vivo we are a charitable enterprise on a mission to raise healthier generations in Calgary and beyond. We want Canadians of all ages to achieve their optimal health at home, school, work and play. We’re creating local, evidence-based solutions to support individuals and whole communities be more active and connected by charting a course to make 10% shifts - shifts in people’s lifestyles, shifts in the care and design of communities and shifts in decision making at organizational and government levels.
With the support of new experiences and innovative built environments created with and for the community, their success stories will be proof of our mission in action. They’ll serve as powerful motivation for others, in Calgary and across the nation, to make their own changes for life. The Senior Leadership team will be instrumental in evolving our organization to deliver on our mission through strategic planning, transformational leadership, execution of Vivo’s expansion and advancing our long-term vision of being one of Canada’s top Charities, a well-regarded Research and Innovation Institute and one of Calgary’s Signature Community Hubs.
Reports to: Chief Evolution Officer
As Director, Facilities & Environment you will collaboratively lead strategy development that influences and supports the advancement of Vivo’s vision, mission, values, strategic priorities and business plan to achieve both strong social impact and financial performance.
Vivo is working and thinking differently by:
- Co-creating supportive built environments with the community that are a catalyst for increasing healthy living, reducing sedentary behaviour, increasing civic engagement and fostering innovation.
- Fostering environments that are holistic, open, inviting, integrated, collaborative, interactive, multi-generational and anchored in social connections.
- Becoming more environmentally friendly and sustainable by reducing our carbon footprint and increasing our utility efficiencies and being a educator and role model for how we can be better stewards for the environment.
You will provide direction to the facilities and technical operations, which include building systems and facility services. Your high-level management abilities will allow you to manage service delivery across functions, departments, and service providers. Your team collaborates with our internal service delivery teams to solve routine and complex challenges and achieves outcomes that exceed expectations. Additionally, you will apply strong business acumen to manage large scale projects and operations, strategically lead the transformation of Vivo’s business, ensure the preparedness for the next three to five years, and execute on a multi-year evolution that has a high impact in the organization and beyond.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Articulate Vivo’s 10 Year Facility Masterplan and Capital Investment Strategy
- Optimize building performance, physical plant operations, compliance with regulations and green sustainability initiatives, building cleanliness, risk management, safety and security
- Oversee 195,000 square foot operation, plus outdoor spaces including amenities as: aquatic centre, 2 NHL-size ice sheets, climbing wall, fitness amenities, studios, tenant-leased space, multipurpose amenities (meeting rooms, office, classrooms) and public gathering spaces. This will increase with the completion of the Vivo Expansion Project that will be an additional 100,000 square feet that will include a $63 million addition and renovation of new and innovative amenities.
- Provide inspirational leadership to the team to design and implement future strategy and deliver on current operational priorities.
- Collaborate with senior leaders and the board on annual, 3-5Y and 10Y organizational planning, identifying and structuring key organizational priorities and projects to drive both business growth and social impact.
- Define, implement and drive strategic initiatives to improve internal and external facing processes and operations, working closely with cross-functional teams, leadership and partners
- Serve as a thought leader on complex challenges through the delivery of strategic insights and recommendations and by working with business stakeholders across the organization.
- Act as storyteller to inspire and grow Vivo’s brand, reputation and credibility as local, national and global leader by disseminating our work/ impact, relationship building, system change committees and networking outside the organization.
- Establish consistent and regular measurement of Vivo’s environment and track key result areas with key performance indicators
- Ensure responsible, timely spending against established annual operating budgets which encompasses internal and external programs, contracts, consultants, etc.
- Provide transformational leadership to the organization and Facilities & Environment Team by inspiring a commitment to Vivo’s vision and mission and to the achievement of high-performance in all areas of the business.
- Inspire, empower, build capacity and shape how the Facilities & Environment Team delivers strong results, impact, efficiencies across the organization, and develops scalable processes.
- Leverage the vision, synthesize the Board’s 10 year strategic plan into the 3 – 5 year plan of the Senior Leaders and translate into meaningful, specific and practical annual work plans and execute with the team.
- Hold the team accountable for achieving established work-plans and targets through regular follow-up, feedback and coaching.
- Focus on developing future talent and leaders in the organization and building capacity, developing, empowering and inspiring the individuals within the Facilities & Environment Team and across the organization.
- Recruit, onboard, train, mentor and performance manage the Facilities & Environment Team utilizing Human Resources best practices, policies and processes to ensure a high-performing team.
- Lead and execute facility master planning and capital investment strategy.
- Develop, implement and monitor attainment of business plans.
- Ensure a comprehensive communication plan is in place, which delivers effective communication to all stakeholders.
- Oversee, conduct regular audits and ensure all aspects of Vivo environments are well maintained and safe for all customer experiences and employees to ensure high-quality delivery of programs and services.
- Oversee built environment strategies across the facility and community to create inspiring and innovative spaces that bring Vivo’s mission to life.
Financial & Administration:
- Oversee operational, lifecycle and capital maintenance recommendations, repair, replacements, expenses and planning.
- In cooperation with the CEO and Director, Finance & Administration, ensure the continuing financial viability of facilities.
- Develop, implement and monitor the annual operating and capital budgets, including, monthly analysis of financial statements and quarterly forecast to the end of the fiscal year, authorization of expenditures within budget parameters and operational improvements.
- Manage Outsourcing/Supplier Management including articulating scope of work, preparing RFP (or related) documents, administer service contracts, monitor and measure performance.
- Lead building enhancements and upgrades.
- Take the lead with external consultants on the planning, development, and execution of the project management plan.
Project Management specifically related the $63 million Vivo Expansion Project:
- Be an active member of the Expansion Project Team, represent Vivo’s vision for the project and oversee the full integration of operational requirements between new and existing facilities.
- Oversee delivery of the project on time and on budget.
- Direct and oversee the Construction Project Manager (if applicable).
- Ensure expenses related to the project align with contractual commitments.
- Ensure appropriate risk management assessment and mitigation is in place.
- Oversee the RFP and tender process and selection of the Consultants, Project Manager and General Contractor and ensure proper documentation, contracts and performance management expectations are in place.
- Act as CEO Designate as required at the Board ad hoc Committee for Vivo Expansion Construction Oversight.
- Provide weekly and monthly project updates to the CEO and Board, including any amendments to scope of work / budget.
- Quickly act to resolve any disagreements between the Project Manager, Consultants, Architect and General Contractor.
- Coordinate operations to minimize customer disruption.
- Responsible for Occupational Health and Safety & Environmental considerations related to the construction project.
- Ensure a comprehensive multi-stakeholder communication plan is in place.
- Ensure all operations and facility services are in compliance with industry regulations and applicable laws.
- Play an active role in the direction and continual enhancement of the Health & Safety Plan, Emergency Response Plan and the Emergency Management Function, including training, drills, leadership during an emergency and follow up related to building functioning and mitigation if required.
- Be proficient in and leverage technology and building management operating systems to optimize systems, maximize efficiencies and effectively monitor performance and provide reporting.
Sustainability & Accessibility:
- Demonstrate expertise with LEED gold performance specifications, including experience with co-generation and other sustainability initiatives.
- Demonstrate expertise with accessibility, diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Oversee the compliance, development, implementation and execution of green sustainability and accessibility, diversity and inclusion initiatives.
Building Cleanliness, Operations & Maintenance:
- Audit, assess, ensure systems are in place for preventative maintenance and cleanliness, including proper historical documentation, detailed specifications.
- Manages and evaluates processes and procedures, to ensure a high standard of operations and facility services.
- Ensure proper inventory control and adequate supplies and stock required for the efficient day to day running of the business.
- Minimize downtime for customer experience.
- Deliver high quality executive and team communications: develop narratives, partner across cross functional teams on content and own delivery of messaging across the organization.
- Champion key changes to processes, including detailed design and execution of changes required to achieve future state objectives.
- Be a trusted advisor across the organization from a financial lens to help ensure workflows drive sustainable business behaviors.
- Oversee and drive the continuous evaluation, shifts and evolutions to operations to ensure they remain aligned with and support the core business and strategic plan.
- Post-Secondary Diploma and/or University Degree or equivalent practical experience.
Next Steps:All interested candidates, please email your Cover Letter and Resume, stating this opportunity in the subject line, to email@example.com.We thank all candidates for their interest in VIVO and this opportunity. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.This opportunity will remain active until a candidate has been hired.
- Building/Facility Management credential, certification or equivalent professional or trade designation preferred.
- 15+ years of combined facilities management, building operations and design/project management experience with an emphasis on facilities, hospitality, property/asset management or equivalent business management experience.
- 10+ years of progressive leadership/managerial experience.
- Strong proficiency with MS office suite.
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C/AED certifications.
- Police Informaton Check for the Vulnerable Sector within the past 6 months.