Director, Marketing, Sales & Communications
At Vivo, we are a charitable enterprise on a mission to raise healthier generations in Calgary and beyond. We want Canadians of all ages to achieve their optimal health at home, school, work and play. We’re creating local, evidence-based solutions to support individuals and whole communities be more active and connected by charting a course to make 10% shifts - shifts in people’s lifestyles, shifts in the care and design of communities and shifts in decision making at organizational and government levels.
With the support of new experiences and innovative built environments created with and for the community, their success stories will be proof of our mission in action. They’ll serve as powerful motivation for others, in Calgary and across the nation, to make their own changes for life. The Senior Leadership Team will be instrumental in evolving our organization to deliver on our mission through strategic planning, transformational leadership, execution of Vivo’s expansion and advancing our long-term vision of being one of Canada’s top Charities, a well-regarded Research and Innovation Institute and one of Calgary’s Signature Community Hubs.
Reports to: Chief Evolution Officer
As Director, Marketing, Sales and Communications, you will collaboratively lead strategy development that influences and supports the advancement of Vivo’s vision, mission, values, strategic priorities and business plan to achieve both strong social impact and financial performance. You will spearhead Vivo’s transformational shift to a lifestyle brand that have aspirations of local, national and global reach. You will lead the optimization and positioning of Vivo’s value proposition and brand strategy including, target audiences, marketing, sales and communications to enhance awareness, drive meaningful differentiation and ultimately preference and demand for Vivo’s lifestyle experiences, and innovation projects and donations to the charity. Your co-creation with our stakeholders and collaboration across the organization’s teams will result in brand strategy and marketing, sales and communication plans which enable business objectives and financial targets to be exceed and enable the team to succeed in achieving the organization’s goals.
- Articulate Vivo’s 10 Year Brand Strategy.
- Oversee Marketing, Sales and Communication strategies and provide inspirational leadership to the team to design and implement future strategy and deliver on current operational priorities.
- Collaborate with senior leaders and the board on annual, 3-5Y and 10Y. organizational planning, identifying and structuring key organizational priorities and projects to drive both business growth and social impact.
- Define, implement and drive strategic initiatives to improve internal and external facing processes and operations, working closely with cross-functional teams, leadership and partners.
- Serve as a thought leader on complex challenges through the delivery of strategic insights and recommendations and by working with business stakeholders across the organization.
- Act as storyteller to inspire and grow Vivo’s brand, reputation and credibility as local, national and global leader by disseminating our work/ impact, relationship building, system change committees and networking outside the organization.
- Establish consistent and regular measurement of Vivo’s brand health and track key result areas with key performance indicators.
- Provide transformational leadership to the organization and Marketing, Sales & Communications team inspiring a commitment to Vivo’s vision and mission and to the achievement of high-performance in all areas of the business.
- Inspire, empower, build capacity and shape how the Marketing, Sales and Communications team delivers strong results, impact, efficiencies across the organization, and develops scalable processes.
- Leverage the vision, synthesize the Board’s 10 year strategic plan into the 3 – 5 year plan of the Senior Leaders and translate into meaningful, specific and practical annual work plans and execute with the team.
- Hold the team accountable for achieving established work-plans and targets through regular follow-up, feedback and coaching.
- Focus on developing future talent and leaders in the organization and building capacity, developing, empowering and inspiring the individuals within the Marketing, Sales and Communications team and across the organization.
- Recruit, onboard, train, mentor and performance manage the Marketing, Sales and Communications team utilizing Human Resources best practices, policies and processes to ensure a high-performing team.
- Steward the Vivo brand, ensuring its strategic positioning is clearly defined, supported, and optimized for growth in the healthy lifestyle category
- As a strategic business partner build an integrated strategy across teams for the Vivo brand
- Use evidence such as rigorous quantitative analysis and qualitative category insight, to inform decision-making. Utilize relevant market data, consumer/client research and insights, and competitive intelligence to identify new opportunities and needs in the market to maintain the brand relevant to the market and constant monitoring of the competitive landscape, as well as the ever-evolving needs and expectations of the market segments.
- Champion brand-building activities that help enhance a brand-centric culture across the organization
- Lead a clear and consistent alignment between Vivo’s values, fundamental brand promise, and the experience the organization creates and delivers to customers, day-to-day.
- Collaborate with internal colleagues and external agency resources to ensure all touch points and media vehicles embrace and reflect the essence of the Vivo Brand.
Marketing & Sales
- Follow revenue streams: pass and admission sales, bookings/rentals, special events and other point of sale functions/initiatives.
- Ensure responsible, timely spending against established annual operating budgets which encompasses internal and external programs, agency fees, media spending, etc.
- Ultimately deliver differentiated messaging and experiences to our target audiences by continually uncovering and identifying significant marketplace and customer needs, thereby enabling Vivo to set the pace for “what must come next” in the healthy lifestyle category.
- Create a Sales Strategy that includes, sales planning, setting revenue and sales targets with strategies to achieve them, developing consistent progress reporting, providing sales training, coaching and mentoring to inspire and set the team up for success.
- Create a Customer Loyalty Strategy that includes, retention initiatives and targets, soliciting regular feedback about customer experience, engaging the team in service design initiatives to gain insights to improve the customer experience.
- Conduct robust business analysis and monitor the achievement of objectives and targets and lead the team in integrating these insights into execution of strategies.
- Oversee, provide creative direction and manage outside Communications, PR, Marketing and Brand Agencies/Consultants, continually monitoring to ensure that projects are assigned to the appropriate resources, as well as consistency in how the brand is handled across all mediums including, monitoring which projects are handled internally and which are outsourced, in order to optimize the cost/quality/timing balance.
- Develop a CRM database.
- Develop the overall, integrated communications strategy based on Vivo’s positioning, defined organizational objectives, the competitive landscape, and a deep understanding of key stakeholder needs and expectations.
- Provide leadership and stewardship of resources through media relations, public events, issues management, public affairs, information campaigns, and digital engagement, including social media.
- Providing oversight and quality control in the implementation of communications programs and initiatives.
- Deliver high quality executive and team communications: develop narratives, partner across cross functional teams on content and own delivery of messaging across the organization.
- Champion key changes to processes, including detailed design and execution of changes required to achieve future state objectives.
- Be a trusted advisor across the organization from a financial lens to help ensure workflows drive sustainable business behaviors.
- Foster external relations with critical business partners including Vivo’s tenants, surrounding community businesses and other strategic partnerships such as sponsors
- Oversee and drive the continuous evaluation, shifts and evolutions to operations to ensure they remain aligned with and support the core business and strategic plan.
We thank all interested candidates for their interest in VIVO. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Post-Secondary Diploma and/or University Degree in related field
- 10+ years of progressive experience in Sales, Marketing, Brand Development and Communications
- 7+ years of progressive leadership experience
- Demonstrated success on flag-ship client-side or agency experience with a focus on Integrated Marketing Communications, and preferably in a strategic role. Breadth of experience across all traditional and new media is highly relevant
- Experience developing brand metrics, analytics, CRM, brand positioning, audiences and strategic marketing and communication plans.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C/AED certifications.
This opportunity will remain open until a candidate has been hired.